[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SoaS 4 - Mango Lassi is out.

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Fri Nov 19 19:34:47 EST 2010

I just  built both a Soas-v3 and Soas-v4 Live USB  which boots
successfully on a MacBook Air with a Boot Helper Disk in a USB CD/DVD
external drive:

I detail the steps here:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#Building_a_bootable_USB_using_a_MacBook_Air
( go the linked page above for the download links)

Here are the steps I used:

Building a bootable USB using a MacBook Air
   1 Boot MacBook Air
        Download Soas-v4 Fedora-14-x86_64-Live-SoaS
        Copy it to a USB for transfer later (see below)
    2 Format Target USB (2GB) in OSX Disk utility
        Insert Target USB
        start Disk Utility
        highlight the target USB in left column of OSX Disk Utility
        Click on erase; select fat16; Name FEDORA; hit return
                            VERY IMPORTANT: Helper CD will not work if
USB is not named FEDORA (in CAPS)
    3 Burn USB
        Start Oracle Virtualbox for OSX VirtualBox-3.2.10-66523-OSX.dmg
            TO download F14: Fedora-14-x86_64-Live-Desktop
        Start the F14 Desktop you have installed to Virtualbox
        Insert USB that contains: Fedora-14-x86_64-Live-SoaS.iso
        Copy to running f14-Desktop in Virtualbox
    4 Start liveusb-creator (To install liveusb-creator; In
Terminal:"yum install liveusb-creator)
        <Browse>/Desktop/ Fedora-14-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso
        <Target Device> /dev/sdb1 (FEDORA)
        <Persistent Storage> choose 900 MB  (1800 for 4GB USB)
        <Create Live USB>
    5 Shutdown Fedora 14 in Virtualbox; Close Virtualbox Program;
Shutdown MacBook Air.
    6 Insert Soas-4-boot-test CD in USB DVD/CD; Plug in Live USB you
just built
        soas-4-boot-test
    7 Boot from helper soas-4-boot-test CD
        Hold down "C" key and do not release until Fedora Blue
"soas-boot" screen appears
        Select "Boot with basic video driver"
        Hit return
    * Congratulations Your Live USB should Boot and run Sugar on a Stick
v4 Mango Lassi

    * The same procedure works for Soas-v3-Mirabelle using the
Soas-3-boot test CD

    Note you can eject the USB CD/DVD drive and unplug the USB from the
Mac Air. It will not be needed until next time you boot the Live USB
    For networking you can plug in the MacBook Air specific USB Network
Dongle. (Wireless is not supported)

Enjoy;

Tom Gilliard
satellit