[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SoaS 4 - Mango Lassi is out.

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 09:29:02 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM, DancesWithCars
<danceswithcars at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:53 AM, DancesWithCars
>> <danceswithcars at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This has probably been mentioned elsewhere,
>>> but is there a Sugar/ soas on Mac list?
>>
>> This list will cover it on most architectures but there is a lot of
>> difference in "Mac" so could you be a little more specific? We should
>> work just fine on most modern intel based Macs.
>>
> those that don't have Macs,
> newer macs in particular may
> not care to hear about all the
> stuff on different architectures.
>
> Also porting to a QuartzX11 based
> environment, which has it's own
> platform issues.

SoaS in a complete solution including the OS so QuartzX11 has got
nothing to do with this. I think you are enquiring about running the
Sugar interface on MacOSX which is completely different to and
unrelated to running SoaS on the Mac hardware platform.

>>> (then it can be put to marketing list,
>>> when many people know it works ;-/ )
>>
>> Why wouldn't it work? We normally put all announcements to the
>> marketing list although they've been some what quiet of late.
>>
> Maybe it's an image issue, in the public awareness sense,
> maybe Sugar isn't publicized as working on Mac platform outside
> of virtualization?

It doesn't work on OSX.

> But the interface is similar ease of use,
> the Apple heritage of educational use
> (noted

Yes but a kettle and a toaster are of a kitchen heritage and of use
for making breakfast but you don't class them as the same.

> FWIW, I'm rather old school Mac
> (old world Beige G3 Macs 6 Gig HD,
> PowerBook 180, LC etc,
> which might  be the class machine that
> is around $100 used :-)
> if not technically considered Antiques,
> as cars are defined by decades,
> computers are like dog years,
> much quicker, IMO.

Sugar would work on PPC platforms. Fedora 12 is the last version of
Fedora that had PPC as a supported primary platform. Sugar will quite
happily work on PPC without issue, in terms of supported platforms its
not currently an aim of SoaS due to limited resources to work on it
but it shouldn't be hard for someone to do.

> instead of new MacBookPros in the $1k range,
> Airs and iPad Tablets slightly under that,

So look at netbooks, you can get them a lot cheaper than the 1K range
and they will easily work on SoaS.

> and back in the day Apple II,  Fat Mac
> and MacIvory, most of which are pre USB...
> so forget memory sticks, and CDROM/
> CDR reading for that matter, maybe stuff
> it in on parallel/ serial or put on drive
> before reinstall HD and see what python
> might/ could work..

I doubt it will work on those.

Regards,