[SoaS] Mirabelle page updated (There is something missing

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sat May 29 07:53:25 EDT 2010

Mel Chua wrote:

......snip.........
> Tabitha, if you have a moment to help us chase this down - I'm trying to
> figure out what happened here, and how to fix it. As best as I can tell,
> you started on http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Mirabelle
> and clicked the "download" button, which gets you to
> http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/#downloads
> 03:23 < mchua> and on there, we say "For a guided walkthrough of the
> process of creating and using your stick, including on non-Fedora
> systems or using virtualization,
No mention of virtualizations (virtualbox or vmplayer) here.....
>  read the Creation Kit."
>
> The Creation Kit has instructions for Linux distributions,
> http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/docs/creation-kit/sect-Creation_Kit-Preparation-Linux_Instructions-Other.html
> - do these work for you?
Unetbootin makes a non-persistent USB, I believe.....
This leaves a Netbook (no CD) running Ubuntu, out in the cold, unless
they make a non-persistent stick with unetbootin, then boot it and
download in sugar-terminal: "yum install liveusb-creator" and make a 2nd
persistent stick with it. (quite convoluted)
> (Are those instructions broken? Not findable?)
>
> --Mel
>
> [0] To elaborate - It makes sense to offer as few options as possible,
> since we can't maintain lots of different install paths - every release,
> we can make sure liveusb-creator works and unetbootin work, but we can't
> necessarly test 15 scripts and 4 different graphical iso-to-usb programs
> on 6 operating systems. I believe liveusb-creator was chosen because
> it's a graphical option and a lot of our intended userbase (teachers,
> etc) are intimidated by command line options like livecd-iso-to-disk.sh.

FYI: The "Get Sugar" link on the wiki still has links to these install
methods.