[SoaS] Mirabelle page updated (There is something missing

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Fri May 28 21:39:07 EDT 2010

Mel;

Here is a situation I met on IRC tonight:
<tabs> (Tabitha at 118-93-178-72.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz) could not find the
information on the use of ./livecd-iso-to-disk
to create a Mirabelle live USB.

Use Case:
NO CD
Using Ubuntu 9.01

* The links we used to provide to ./livecd-iso-to-disk on the Blueberry
Page need to be more prominently displayed on the Mirabelle page.

Tom Gilliard
satellit
===================partial IRC log======================
* tabs (~Tabitha at 118-93-178-72.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz) has joined #sugar

<tabs> how do you write soas mirabelle to a usb stick?
<tabs> the fedora spin page
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/#downloads doesn't have any
instructions on how to install the .iso to a usb stick and implies there
is a different image for the usb stick
<tabs> but it doesn't have links to such an image
<tabs> the sugar labs page http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick
directs you to the fedora spin page for installation instructions
<tabs> the image-writer used with blueberry doesn't seem to write a
sensible image
<tabs> this looks promising
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

<satellit_> tabs: ./livecd-iso-to-disk  --format --reset-mbr
--overlay-size-mb 1200 /home/xxxxt/Desktop/Fedora-13-i686-Live-SoaS.iso
/dev/sdg*
<tabs> where do i get livecd-iso-to-disk?

<satellit_> is what I use. /dev/sdg* is your USB device
<satellit_>
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh
<satellit_> use mount in terminal to determine /dev/sd( )
<satellit_> can be done from Running CD of Mirabelle
<satellit_> in sugar-terminal
<tabs> circular dependency
<tabs> the fedora project USBHow
<tabs> To I linked to above doesn't work on ubuntu :-(
<tabs> they have a python program which comes as a yum, or a windows
download or a source
<satellit_> * It is missing on Mirabelle page. Mel redirected download
page to fedora spins used to go to Blueberry
<satellit_> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Windows
<satellit_> also covered it   This needs fixing...
<tabs> i downloaded the source, make, unpacked and it complains about
dbus connections being attached to the main loop
<tabs> we dont' have any windows here
<satellit_> I have not used sources  this works from .iso
<tabs> yeah, no cd drives here either
<satellit_> Virtualbox?
<tabs> maybe, though virtualbox ose doesn't support usb last time I
tried to use virtualbox to bootstrap soas
<satellit_> what computer are you using?
<tabs> going to try your livecd-iso-to-disk
<tabs> longest command line ever
<satellit_> ok
<tabs> ubuntu 9.10 on eee 701
<satellit_> sudo su first
<tabs> you can't just sudo?
<satellit_> I have to use sudo su on 9.04 here
<satellit_> It is an Ubuntu thing
<tabs> wierd
<satellit_> yes
<satellit_> get "not part of sudoers" message with sudo
<satellit_> You could also use a dd command on .iso to write a USB  but
it is non persistent
<tabs> livecd-iso-to-disk seems to be working, just with regular sudo
<satellit_> maybe it it fixed in 9.10
<tabs> will let you know when it is finished
<satellit_> 1200 persistence is max for 2GB USB
<tabs> yeah, figured that
<satellit_> 2k max for fat16  I use fat 16 boot flag FEDORA label
<satellit_> also for liveusb-creator in f12
<satellit_> *shortcut : hit up arrow in terminal to repeat for 2nd
USB..... (old dos)
<satellit_> * I type my commands in a text editor first to check
accuracy then copy past into terminal when I know they are correct
<satellit_> s/paste

<satellit_> tabs: also here
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Installation/Variations#dd_command_from_terminal_.28non-persistent.29
<satellit_> *this page has many variations of installation
variations...... Not supported
<tabs> livecd-iso-to-disk worked
<satellit_> great
<tabs> thanks satellit_