[SoaS] Testing liveinst in SoaS-3

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Mon May 24 12:47:58 EDT 2010

Peter Robinson wrote:
> Thomas,
>

>> zyx-liveinstaller (now available by yum install in f13)
>> gedit
>> gparted
>>
>> and SugarClone
>> http://people.sugarlabs.org/fgrose/SugarClone
>>
>> should be added to the soas spin ASAP
>>

> SOAS-3 is done. Any changes will now be targetted at SOAS-4.
>
> zyx installer was not working and had been stated by the maintainer
> that he no longer wanted to support it in Fedora and hence it was
> dropped at the request of the maintainer. By the time it was fixed it
> was well and truly too late to actually make the release with any form
> of QA what so ever, we might consider adding it back in SOAS-4 if the
> maintainer proves to be responsive again.
>
> SugarClone as mentioned to you previously isn't packaged in Fedora and
> until that point will never be included.
>
> And gedit/gparted don't add anything to the ability to install.
Peter;

gparted is required to use zyx-liveinstaller, and was, I believe
included, on soas-v2-blueberry along with it.

dmc did get his program working for us, too late unfortunately, for v3
Mirabelle soas spin.
It is a valuable tool for installations to USB/HD. and answers some of
the problems Bernie recently mentioned on the lists:

Bernie Innocenti wrote:
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > yesterday we evaluated a nightly compose of SoaS-3 on a Toshiba laptop
 > > of one of our teacher trainers.
 > >
 > > Hardware support was perfect and the overall impression was very good.
 > > However, installation to hard drive with liveinst could use some
tuning:

 > >  * installer asks for way too many technical questions such as
hostname,
 > >    root password... Most of these should be unnecessary for SoaS.
 > >
 > >  * By default, liveinst tries to create a complicated partition layout
 > >    using LVM + swap + boot + root. Just root should be enough on any
 > >    computer which can already boot SoaS just fine from USB.

 * After installation, firstboot bothers the user with more silly
 >    questions. The firstboot package could probably be uninstalled.
 >
 >  * No automatic login after installation. You get GDM and you have to
 >    key-in a password, which is very un-sweet :-/

zyx-liveinstaller bypasses all of these problems.

I was hoping that there would, at some point, be some updating of the
spin and it could be included then.

gedit is less important, but is useful to edit the IRC application to
add channels to auto-login to multiple channels, as the tab check box
for this feature , has never been implemented.

Cordially

Tom Gilliard
satellit