[SoaS] Testing liveinst in SoaS-3
bernie at codewiz.org
Sun May 23 14:01:10 EDT 2010
yesterday we evaluated a nightly compose of SoaS-3 on a Toshiba laptop
of one of our teacher trainers.
Hardware support was perfect and the overall impression was very good.
However, installation to hard drive with liveinst could use some tuning:
* installer asks for way too many technical questions such as hostname,
root password... Most of these should be unnecessary for SoaS.
* By default, liveinst tries to create a complicated partition layout
using LVM + swap + boot + root. Just root should be enough on any
computer which can already boot SoaS just fine from USB.
* After installation, firstboot bothers the user with more silly
questions. The firstboot package could probably be uninstalled.
* No automatic login after installation. You get GDM and you have to
key-in a password, which is very un-sweet :-/
* After installation, sudo does not work out of the box. (this is one
of the major annoyances of Fedora, it should be fixed upstream too)
I'll follow up with additional comments as we deploy SoaS on more
computers and collect feedback from more formadores.
// Bernie Innocenti - http://codewiz.org/
\X/ Sugar Labs - http://sugarlabs.org/
More information about the SoaS