[SoaS] Deja-Dup (duplicity) as a way to backup-restore Soas Mirabelle Home directory

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sat May 15 17:00:49 EDT 2010

I just backed up and then restored the home directory of my f13 RC3 soas
spin  4GB USB to a 2nd 4 GB USB.
* looks like it worked. Still testing.

# yum install duplicity
# yum install deja-dup

http://live.gnome.org/DejaDup
https://launchpad.net/deja-dup

> Encrypted bandwidth-efficient backup using rsync algorithm
>
> Duplicity incrementally backs up files and directory by encrypting
> tar-format volumes with GnuPG and uploading them to a remote (or
> local) file server. In theory many protocols for connecting to a
> file server could be supported; so far ssh/scp, local file access,
> rsync, ftp, HSI, WebDAV and Amazon S3 have been written.
>
> Because duplicity uses librsync, the incremental archives are space
> efficient and only record the parts of files that have changed since
> the last backup. Currently duplicity supports deleted files, full
> unix permissions, directories, symbolic links, fifos, device files,
> but not hard link
Has anyone else tried this for Sugar or Soas?

This looks like a possible candidate for a future sugarized application.

Tom Gilliard
satellit