[SoaS] Call for Testing: Duplicating SoaS via CMD (Please Help with modified_livecd-iso-to-disk script)

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 22:48:59 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Thomas C Gilliard <
satellit at bendbroadband.com> wrote:
> Frederick:
>
> I have been trying to make this work...
> I created with liveusb-creator a 4GB USB with persistence 2400 of iso
> soas--------328; using a usb 500GB HD install of f13 Beta1 Gnome + sugar
> rebooted with the new USB
> in sugar terminal:
> su -
> yum install wget gedit
> wget http://(path to soas nightly composes/soas/......328
> (loaded in /home/liveuser/)
> opened with gedit "soas at lists.sugarlabs.org" from a 2nd USB in sugar frame
> saved it in /home/liveuser/
> chmod 077 modified_livecd-iso-to-disk script
> If I do a "ls" I see both in /home/liveuser
> then I get lost on how to use your script
>
> I tried in root:
> /home/liveuser/modified_livecd-iso-to-disk --noverify --delete-home
> --extra-kernel-args selinux=0 --copy-overlay /dev/live /dev/sde1
>
> new target usb is /dev/sde1 formatted ext3 with boot flag
>  I got this error msg
>
> mount:
> wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loo5,
> missing codepage, or helper program, or other error
>
> Cleaning up to exit...

I don't know about that error. To avoid some filesystem-media-related
problems, I have kept the factory formatting on my USB devices as
recommended here,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_Damage_a_FLASH_Storage_Device.

I have a 16-GB SanDisk Cruzer and 16-GB Toshiba USB drives. I once manually
reformatted the SanDisk to remove the U3 partition, but after reading the
article, I got the SanDisk utility (
http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/240/kw/usb%20flash%20drive%20u3/r_id/101834)
restore the factory format. For the record, the SanDisk device is formatted
as W95 FAT32 (0x0b), and the Toshiba - W95 FAT32 (LBA) (0x0c) according to
my disc utility.

> Do I have to use your script to create the USB? vs using graphical
> liveusb-creator to make this work?

No, the script works from either installation method. I sometimes test with
the Windows Live USB Creator.

New work:

I've added some user input checking and played with the
/home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key and .key.pub files (which don't seem
to be installed by the Windows Live USB Creator).

These new lines before and after the copy of the overlay file,
+      chown root:root /home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key
/home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key.pub
+      mv /home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key $USBMNT/$LIVEOS/owner.key
+      mv /home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key.pub
$USBMNT/$LIVEOS/owner.key.pub
+      cp $CDMNT/LiveOS/$OVERLAYFILE $USBMNT/$LIVEOS/$OVERLAYFILE ||
exitclean
+      mv $USBMNT/$LIVEOS/owner.key /home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key
+      mv $USBMNT/$LIVEOS/owner.key.pub
/home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key.pub
+      chown liveuser:liveuser /home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key
/home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key.pub
+      chmod 600 /home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key
+      chmod 644 /home/liveuser/.sugar/default/owner.key.pub

had the result that the newly booted cloned image presented with a new Sugar
user screen.  Once the Home view appeared, the old Activity icon colors and
Journal were present.  Be careful though, because a saved password cookie in
Browse for my Gmail was transferred to the new image.

The new, Sugar-specific script and diff are attached.

Thanks for testing!

             --Fred