[SoaS] EEEPC900

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue Mar 30 15:34:56 EDT 2010

Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for all the information. Now I have lots more questions!
>
> 1a) Do you think the DVD will run on anything other than Ubuntu?

It should run on almost any PC. It is a windows compatible formatted DVD
(My wife burned the .iso on her G4 Mac Laptop and I ran it on my
Ubuntu9.04 PC
I have also run it on my EeePC900 with external DVD/CD drive. (I can see
contents and transfer files from it to My Live USB of the latest Nightly
Composes USB img)

 http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/f13-installer-2GB-USB.img.tar.gz
> 1b) If it has to have Ubuntu, does this mean that the average classroom teacher will have to install it on their machine to run it?

The DVD contains txt and pdf files plus .iso and .img files with
instructions on how to use them. these can be run from the DVD or
transferred to the Desktop of the PC
> 2) I've been looking at EEEPC 900s on the web. It seems to be a discontinued model.  There are a few retailers still selling them and quite a few used ones on ebay. It looks like the memory and storage size vary quite a bit. Some come with Linux, some with Windows (various varieties), and I even saw one with "no operating system."  What should I look for if I want to buy one of these?

My EeePC900 has Mandriva (linux)  as an OS and the largest ssd (solid
state hard drive) but if you  hit <esc> while it boots it will run
almost any Operating system you install on the external usb hard drive
or SOAS live USB stick. Any model of this series of netbook will work.
> 3) You mentioned having a cd/dvd burner.  Is this necessary if I have a MacBook that has one of these?

only if you want to use an external usb hard drive. It is not necessary
for booting a soas live usb stick. As I said above, you should be able
to burn it on you MAC
> 4) What other things would I need to consider if I decide to buy one of these?

They should be quite cheap on e-bay or used