[SoaS] Call for Testing: Duplicating SoaS via CMD

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 16:16:18 EDT 2010

Hi Frederick,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it would be great if somebody could give this standard procedure a try
>> and confirm whether it works or not, so that we can react appropriately
>> upon a ticket. You'll need two USB keys for this.
>>
>> (1) use Fedora's LiveUSB Creator to prepare the first key with SoaS
>>
>> (2) boot the first key and apply some changes as in:
>>
>>        (a) change the language
>>        (b) download a number of activities
>>
>> (3) plug in the second USB key and determine its mount point
>>
>> (4) run as root on the first key: yum install livecd-tools (might or
>> might not be already present, depending on which SoaS version you use)
>>
>> (5) execute the following command from the terminal on the first key:
>>
>>        livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb 300 /dev/sr0 /dev/sdc1
>>
>> (in which case /dev/sdc1 would be the mount point of the second key)
>>
>> Does this [ ] WORK or [ ] FAIL? Please let us know!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --Sebastian
>
> I've tested a different approach with some success for customizing and
> replicating a LiveUSB image:
>
> 1. Downloaded http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/soas/soas-i386-20100327.19.iso
>
> 2. In Fedora13 (32-bit), ran this script:
>     modified_livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb 400 --delete-home
> --extra-kernel-args selinux=0 /path_to_soas-i386-20100327.19.iso
> /dev/sdb1
>
> 3. Booted the LiveUSB device1 and made a few changes.
>
> 4. Mounted a second USB device2 on an extended USB port on my monitor,
> confirmed its partition name as /dev/sdc1, then unmounted it.
>
> 5. Mounted my Fedora13 partition (/dev/sda1) onto the device1 LiveUSB
> image, and ran this script in the Sugar Terminal:
>    /mnt/F13/home/account/.../ modified_livecd-iso-to-disk --noverify
> --delete-home --extra-kernel-args selinux=0 --copy-overlay /dev/live
> /dev/sdc1
>
> 6. Shutdown and swapped USB devices in order to boot device2 from the
> motherboard USB port.
>
> 7. Confirmed that I had a replicated image with the copied overlay file.
>
> 8. More testing needed.
>
> The modified script is attached.
>
> Here is the diff from the current tools_livecd-iso-to-disk:

That is awesome work! Do you think the patch is either useful for
upstream or self contained enough it won't affect it? If so could you
possibly file a bug [1] so we can can get it upstream?

Cheers,
Peter

[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora&version=rawhide&component=livecd-tools