[SoaS] SoaS 3 Activity list

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 12:34:58 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> On 29.03.2010, at 12:51, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Having had some feedback on the proposal of shipping just 6 Activities
>>> for SoaS 3 I'm modifying the proposal a little and increasing the
>>> number to 10 [1]. Although this does come with some caveats and a
>>> challenge to those out there that would like to see some more
>>> included.
>>>
>>> So the original proposal was the following list of Activities:
>>> - browse
>>> - physics
>>> - turtleart
>>> - irc
>>> - log
>>> - terminal
>>>
>>> I'm proposing adding the following:
>>> - Record
>>> - Write
>>> - Chat.
>>> - Some sort of shareable game such as memorize
>>>
>>> The reason for the above 4 is that they are a great demonstration of
>>> the sharing and media capabilities of sugar, which I believe are some
>>> of its best features, but I am open to suggestions.
>>>
>>> So now to the caveat and challenge. They will only be included if they
>>> are working, tested and are stable as I believe it only makes the
>>> Sugar platform look bad if they don't work well. The challenge is for
>>> everyone in the community to assist in making sure they are working,
>>> tested and stable. If ultimately they aren't included its everyone to
>>> blame because they weren't. I believe I may know what the issue with
>>> Write is so I'll be looking that with the hope of it being fixed this
>>> week. I look forward to seeing reports of them working well and being
>>> tested as well as patches and bug reports when they do not :-)
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> [1] I could possibly increase this to 12 if my arm is twisted enough
>>> on the same proviso that they are stable, tested and are a good
>>> demonstration of the Sugar platform, work well on a netbook platform
>>> and XOs
>>
>> Peter, I have to ask again why you do not want to include Etoys. It's working, tested, stable, and includes examples that emphasize Sugar as a creative learning platform (more so than any of the activities you do propose to include).
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> +1
>
> Also, as much as I would hate to see it off the list, Record is not
> stable enough right now to consider for v3. Until we sort out our
> various gst/alsa issues, we need to stay away from all of the
> activities that use the camera.

Yes, that's basically my thoughts and understandings at the moment. I
believe it was waiting for the gstcamerabin plugin to go upstream to
make things simpler and non dependant on binary bits. That is now in
Fedora 12 and 13 so I was hoping we might have something that was
working before long. It seems to be an Activity the kids love.

> That said, the 95% of all activities that are pure Python/Sugar should
> run anywhere. So we have a lot to chose from. I'll make further
> comments on Mel's criteria page.

Thanks.