No subject

Mon Mar 15 02:42:15 EDT 2010

Linux) liveusb-creator.

I've also seen alot of people mentioning the use of dd. I have
concerns about advertising this to the average user that we are aiming
SoaS to (teachers, new users and people that want to test it)
primarily because its very easy to get it wrong. Its all too easy to
accidentally pick the wrong device name and blow away you windows or
linux install, or MBR. Not the sort of results we want to see for a
new user. Its fine for an experienced user but then they already know
how to use it and the possibilities that could come from it so for
those users its not something we really need to document.

I've also seen people wanting "PXE boot environments to boot SoaS". I
personally think this is well and truly out of the scope of SoaS. You
can achieve this easily using the Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP)
and they have all the methods to be able to achieve this easily, its
supported in Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian all of which package Sugar and
hence with little work Sugar can be made available as a LTSP GUI
interface.

I would like to make it as easy as possibly for all alternate install
options be used from the main SoaS release but would still like to
keep it simple on the main download pages so new users don't have to
chose from 100 different options..... that isn't easy! It becomes
scary for the average teacher. Ultimately for that class of users
there should be a single download option and a choice of 2 or 3 ways
to install it which should mostly be due to which platform they want
to use to create the Boot image.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Peter

BTW, can we keep the discussion on the SoaS list please.