[SoaS] Sugar on a Stick Changing Engineering Direction (Test results of a 2GB Live USB of soas-i386-20100319.17.iso)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Mar 21 12:47:14 EDT 2010

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for running through a good chunk of activities. Could you email, or bug track, or wiki the log output for the failed activities somewhere I can take a look at?

On 21 Mar 2010, at 03:00, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:

> Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> ==Test of nightly compose soas-i386-20100319.17.iso==
>
> Created in usb HD install of f12 with all updates using liveusb-creator 2GB USB Sandisk Micro (cheap at local discount store)
>

> Control Panel:
> Fedora release 13 (Rawide)
>
> Control Panel Update done:
> read         78-86
> flipsticks     2-4
> get IA Books     3-5
> TA         83-84
>
> NOTE: I could not test sharing as jabber.sugarlabs.org  was down.

Did salut work (two machines/VMs on one network segment)? Useful to test to make sure the Soas firewall is not configured to block it.

> sugar terminal :
> su -
> rm _R of /usr/share/sugar/activities/IRC.activity  ( all files and directory)
> * I knew from previous work this had to be done to make IRC work.
>
> in Browse: activities Download  IRC 5.xo
>
> Test of activities
>
> Activity      Version    Work/no work      remarks
> record                64            +    pictures work on EeePC900

Did sound record/playback?

> terminal            31              +
> *speak               14               -     hangs with pulse (no stop popup)

Just guessing but likely to be some missing dependancy.

> Visual match     21              +
> Browse            114              +
> Etoys               113              +
> Calculate            30             +
> *Typing Turtle    29              -

Oooh interesting, that one is an unexpected fail.

> Finance                3             +
> Log                     23             +
> Memorize           33             +

Did sound playback work? Speech output? Sound recording?

> implode                9              +
> Connect             22               +
> Image Viewer    14              +     opened picture I took with record
> Chat                  66              +
> *write                68              -    writes in top panel turns panel white

Yes, this one is very odd, something very F13 specific? No problem in Sugar under F10, F11, F12.

> Maze                   6               -    pop up failed to start

Missing platform dependancies? Pygame perhaps.

> Infoslicer            6              +
> Jukebox               18           +
> Moon                  10            +
> PlayGo                  5           +
> Clock                    5          +    Talks       Physics                  4          +
> Pippy                    34         +

Did you get a chance to test some of the code samples? Often can be a missing dependancy or so for some.

> Analyze                   8        +
> *TamTamMini        51       -    popup wont start
> *TamTamEdit         51        -
> *TamTamSynthLab  52      -
> *TamTamJam          52        -

Likely all missing a sound related platform dependancy.

> Read                        86        -    opened but failed to open the picture I took with record in journal

I think that is the expected behaviour for Read, it currently supports PDF, DjVu, EPUB (as I remember).

> I hope this advances our discussions

Fab, thanks again!

Regards,
--Gary