[SoaS] Problem with Mirabelle and USB Boot

Marc Karasek marckarasek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 10:54:49 EDT 2010

I am trying to put together some sticks for shipping to Uganda.

I am using the latest usb creater and image (Mirabelle Fedora13)

I followed the instructions, but when I tested the sticks on a notebook,
I got the error:
no root device found
sleeping forever

In following a few google links, this seems to be lined to the root= and
overlay= options on the kernel cmd line.
I looked at what the default was and it had a UUID# in both of these
places.

I named the stick FEDORA (I remembered this used to be part of the
instructions in the past), changed the cmd line to
root=LABEL=FEDORA and overlay=LABEL=FEDORA and it worked.

The problem is I need to make this foolproof, I do not need them to be
having to edit cmd lines each time they boot.  (The place it is going
they have never seen a computer, so it has to be foolproof).

Should I just change the name of the USB stick to match the UUID# or is
this a bug in the image?

Marc