[SoaS] Limited Internet Access for SOAS

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-soas at silbe.org
Sat Jun 19 05:53:22 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Raffael Reichelt's message of Sat Jun 19 06:47:02 +0000 2010:

> I had a talk with sebastian at linuxtag about including local squid
> with a whitelist in soas.
Censoring internet access with Sugar (or SoaS in this case) comes up
regularly. If you really must filter (*), it's a task for the device
providing internet access, not the client device (the computer running
Sugar). One of the reasons is that it's way too easy ("kinderleicht"
in german) to circumvent local filtering if the user has full access (as
Sugar users do by design).

(*) Whether filtering is a good idea / achieves what it's supposed to is
    a separate topic and doesn't belong on the SoaS list. Let me just
    mention that filters are very "dumb" tools with a lot of false
    positives AND negatives (e.g. some german blacklist even blocked
    Wikipedia). Having a filter can make the parents believe their kids
    are "safe" and stop supervising them. It's quite similar to anti-
    virus software and personal firewalls: they make you believe you are
    safe, while in fact you are not.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/