[SoaS] Localized builds

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 03:33:05 EDT 2010

> 2010/6/19 Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>:
>> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Raffael Reichelt
>> <raffael.reichelt at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Talking with parents and teachers about soas I realized it is
>>> mandatory to provide localized builds of soas in order to make it
>>> attractive for them to give it to their children. This localized
>>> builds should be easily available for download for example on
>>> localized pages. I am glad to volunteer for the german part. Can
>>> someone explain me how to setup this page and where to place the
>>> localized build for download?
>>
>> All the requirements to run a localized build are already present in
>> SoaS, there just needs to be an option to actually select the
>> language/keyboard on firstboot. Maybe its an option to provide when
>> you select the colour/name. I know there's been discussion on adding
>> an option to select a keyboard, adding the option to that to select
>> language and even timezone shouldn't be too hard.
>
> I know - but supporting non-it-persons with their computers I do know
> too it is much too difficult for them. Most of te parents I know are
> happy if the computer and the internet connection is working. Even
> they are interested in providing a learning plattform to their
> children  they do not really know how to change something. In fact I
> expect them to prefere the boot-helper/usbstick scenario.

You've missed my point entirely. If they can't select from 3 drop down
boxes their own language, keyboard layout and timezone there's a
problem that separate images is not going to fix because they'll have
problems working out how to make the image boot in the first place. A
Windows or OSX setup expects you to be able to do this, even a new
digital camera expects you to be able to select your language and
timezone.

Peter

BTW Please reply from the bottom, it makes the replies easier to read
in the context.