[SoaS] Limited Internet Access for SOAS

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 03:15:18 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Raffael Reichelt
<raffael.reichelt at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I had a talk with sebastian at linuxtag about including local squid
> with a whitelist in soas. I do not know how others thinking about this
> but I am generally concerned about giving unlimited internet access to
> the children. This might be different in a schoolserver/XO
> environment, but if you want to have a widely spread soas deployment
> it should be available at least as an option.
>
> Unfortunately there are no constantly maintained whitelists available
> - I talked to the people of "Kinder im Netz" - a german organisation
> maintaining a whitelist - but they have legal/licence concerns opening
> the whitelist to other software beside their own (propietary) windows
> software.

Not in the SoaS image. SoaS is designed to run on netbooks, squid is a
daemon that should run on a server, it also creates a massive
directory structure that will cause issues on liveUSB keys and not
really run at all on a live cd. If the parents/teachers that are
giving SoaS to their children want to restrict the access to the net
they can do it via their internet connection or turn on the child safe
internet option that just about all ISPs provide.