[SoaS] Proposed New Feature: Features/Revised Browse default-bookmarks.html

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 07:53:36 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Thomas C Gilliard
<satellit at bendbroadband.com> wrote:
> In a discussion with Peter Robinson last night' on #sugar-meeting,I learned
> that a custom Browse bookmark can be downloaded from the fedora repository.
> I propose to use this "Feature" to allow a custom set of bookmarks to be
> maintained that would have a series of links ie: e-books; Floss Manuals;
> wiki.sugarlabs.org, (maybe all of the proposed links to files in the
> SugarCreationKit DVD)+ a link to The Normal Browse Google Screen
>
> This should be a simple edit in Browse to point to
> file:///usr/share/bookmarks/default-bookmarks.html instead of
> file:///usr/share/sugar/activities/Browse.activity/data/index.html.

We'll use something slightly different so we don't conflict.

> Repointing the default-screen allows us to have fedora supply our revised
> "Start New" screen ( or maybe several depending on the deployment or schools
> requirements to Soas v4)

This is separate to schools. It needs to be generic and decided by us.

> Alternate path: edit
> /usr/share/sugar/activities/Browse.activity/data/index.html. This would
> allow sugarlabs to maintain the list.
>
> In this case: the Browse.xo on ASLO would also need to be changed as
> installed activities seem to be stored in a different location than .xo
> files -(I think)

Nope. This will only be changed in the Browse shipped with SoaS. While
ASLO is a resource for SoaS users what resides there is a generic
resource used by many.

> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick_release_process#Current_feature_ideas
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Revised_Browse_default-bookmarks.html

Can you update it with the other points above.

Thanks!