[SoaS] bios and soas

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 23:12:50 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:06 AM, george pope <gpope111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The message below bounced this AM due to a subscription mix up. After
> I sent it I tried running the SOAS .iso file on a 2009 Asus Eee PC 701
> note book and even saw the USB in a bios window. But I was too chicken
> to click it. I'm afraid I am too used to being overseas where getting
> help should I sabatage my notebook could a problem.

On my eee devices if you hit ESC during boot it will give me a boot
menu. If you select any option that is not bootable at this point it
won't do anything to hurt it. For example if you select a network boot
and it can't find a net boot server it will eventually just time out.

> Where can I find BIOS manuals so as to be less scared

TBH that will likely just make your run down the street in pain :-)

> Subject: soas and an old? bios
> I've got: Fedora-13-i65y6-liveSoaS.iso copied to a USB stick.

How did you copy it there? Did you use one of the live CD creators?

> The boot order menu on my IBM ThinkPad T20 includes the following:
>
> 1. Removeable Drives _?_
> 2. HD
> 3. ATAPT CD ROM Drive
> 4. Network Boot
> 4. Intel(R) Boot Agent Version 4.8.17
>
> The manual for this computer is dated Apr 2002. Were they booting from
> USB Sticks back then?
>
> Do I need to up date my Bios to run SOAS? Bios scares me. Sorry guys.

It depends on your BIOS. It was certainly possible to boot from USB
then. But in some cases it wasn't called boot from USB. For the above
both HD and Removable drive could work. Sometimes USB is seen as a HD
as well in old devices. My guess would be option 1. Try it, you won't
hurt anything by doing so.