[SoaS] Activities and Features for SoaS V4

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Sun Jun 6 21:08:53 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 01:11:32PM -0400, John Tierney wrote:
> I am trying to figure out upcoming schedule for SoaS V4. From my reading
> of Fedora 14 release schedule which from my new understanding applies
> directly to the next Sugar on a Stick release the two upcoming dates that
> are super important are:
>
> 2010-07-13     Feature Submission Deadline
>
> and
>
> 2010-07-27     Feature
>  Freeze--Planning & Development Ends
[...]
> In a few recent threads I have been pushing the developer/coding
> side to begin to offer visuals of the processes they use and adhere
> to because many of less tech-oriented simply don't understand the
> process and get more confused bouncing around multiple wiki's trying
> to put puzzle together.
[...]
> These visuals will create very strong recruiting tools for those of
> us involved in Facilitation and Outreach.  I would happily do it
> myself but I simply don't understand the technical processes or
> inter-relationships involved, precisely why these visuals are
> needed.

You're going to try to recruit SoaS .iso developers without
understanding development processes or meta-processes (e.g.,
schedules)?

May I respectfully suggest that the overworked and underpaid volunteer
developers have more productive things to do than create visuals of a
schedule.  Much better would be for you to take YOUR understanding
(including the dates about) and create the materials you think
developers would want to know about (?!) and share them.

When you hear a deafening silence (or even get encouragement), you
will have a) gained the understanding you say you lack (though you did
a good job summarising things, IMHO); and b) gained the recruiting
tools you think you need.

> If we can stop for a moment and capture much of what we are doing in
> this visual sense we will make it enormously easier for people to
> join and actively participate in the community.

It will be easier for people to comment on the developers' schedules,
but it won't make it significantly easier to participate the SoaS .iso
development schedule (I don't know what else you might mean by "the
community" here, though it could be almost anything).  kickstart files
and filesystems and shell scripting and boot processes still need to
be understood, and a visual of the SoaS .iso creation schedule isn't
going to help with that.

> We must always remember the Key contributor we are trying to get on
> board is the Elementary Teacher and Students.

..."Key contributor" to SoaS?  Or to Activity authorship?  Please
don't mix the two up - they're quite different.  And please don't mix
up creation of the SoaS product (.iso) - the process I think you want
to map out - with contribution to the SoaS project.  One is a part of
the other, and - as evidenced by the liveliness of the SoaS mailing
list - one needn't understand how the .iso is created to contribute.
But to understand how the .iso is created one needs a heck of a lot
more information than the SoaS release schedule.  Please be precise
about to what you want to attract contributions via these visuals.

> Best!
>
> John Tierney

Martin