[SoaS] Mirabelle release review

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Fri Jun 4 14:30:44 EDT 2010

This should hit Planet Sugar Labs shortly, but there's a more readable
summary of the behind-the-scenes of the Mirabelle release up at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Mirabelle#Release_history.

A broader explanation is at
http://blog.melchua.com/2010/06/04/the-history-of-the-soas-mirabelle-release-learning-from-the-past/
- I'm trying to get some non-SL (mostly Fedora) folks to look at this as
well, since we could benefit from more open communication with our
upstreams.

--Mel

PS: Major accomplishments this release cycle...

     * We have a team!
     * We have a release schedule!
     * We started using the Fedora Spins process and engineering
resources, which made release engineering much smoother.
     * We started driving communications to public channels – notably
the SoaS mailing list – so things are more transparent.
     * Multiple people have commit access to each repository that needs
to be handled, so there are no single-person bottlenecks remaining.
     * We shifted to a time-based release cycle, meaning we had a target
release date set early in the process rather than our prior “it seems
ready… now-ish?” method.