[SoaS] [Marketing] Soliciting SoaS v.4 Codename & Colour Suggestions

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Fri Jun 4 12:33:48 EDT 2010

Hi Sean,

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sebastian, I guess you want to drop the name we had chosen together
> previously, Cloudberry? If you remember we had wanted to underline
> collaboration and connectivity, and decided to postpone that name when
> we realized that it was too ambitious for this release.

this is by no means the intention of this email. You will note that
this email is also sent to the marketing list, so this is not aimed at
excluded marketing, but rather at getting the conversation started.

We're simply encouraging brainstorming here so that we don't get stuck
later there and have a prominent way of calling the upcoming next
version early in the release cycle (Fedora has already chosen its
codename for F14, too).

I don't recall us already having chosen Cloudberry. It was the
previous codename for v.3, but as you say, we decided to go with
Mirabelle instead since it could have caused confusion.

I personally believe that it only makes sense to chose a name like
Cloudberry if we're able to provide a sufficient amount of
cloud-related features, since we might get otherwise beaten up over
it.

> This is a marketing discussion and should really be in the marketing
> meeting. Sugar on a Stick is a pillar of our marketing strategy and
> the name needs to fit with our strategy. That said, I wouldn't want to
> spoil anyone's fun choosing ice cream flavors. It could be nice to
> pick a non-berry flavor too as Peter and others have said in the past.

I think this is debatable and I'm certainly not objecting to having
this conversation in the marketing meeting, too. However, this also
concerns the project itself, so I think it's also fair to raise it in
the Sugar on a Stick meeting.

--Sebastian