[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] Soliciting SoaS v.4 Codename & Colour Suggestions

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Thu Jun 3 16:05:29 EDT 2010

'O-helo Berries

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mkamimur/Protective/ohelo_berries.htm

http://www.google.com/images?q=ohelo+berries&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=IQkITPevOIzANoiclLYE&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQsAQwAw

The *'O-helo* that grows at higher altitudes and is abundant in the
Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park
<http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hawaii?%2100euIidhnb70KedqRdArujfaI20hr1vXvm2ufdgfo2m7n5d6eOj1FaCSRggHu1eOm90trj7aO0bnTonBTAfvIlOanfazvobUTgEku2mvn0C0uCew80CSRArrodiZOvC6>
and Volcano area. The plant is usually small, from 6 inches to waste
high, though it can ocassionally be larger. The plant has many branches
with small rounded leaves. Young leaves at the thops are redish with
green mature leaves.

Related to the cranberry plant, the berries of the 'O-helo are edible
and quite delicious. They range in color from bright red to yellows and
oranges and the color is not necessairly indicative of the ripeness. The
berries can be slightly tart to very sweet, depending on the plant and
the maturity of the berries. While 'O-helo grows berries throughout the
year and plants with berries may be next to ones that just had berries -
there are definate seasons where more berries are produced.

The 'O-helo berry was considered sacred to the Volcano Goddess Pele and
offerings of branches with fruit were made into the Ki-lauea volcano.
Today the berry is a favorite staple of the *Hawaiian Ne-ne- Goose*
<http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hawaii?%2100vuvl2TrfAYTofs1E0kejaFK93urjnanseqIgCt04e8Fe29ffrYafiTQndoe2ebvobrTrn5ntaMm5nTrj71Kl3dtMApT0fsIinEr2vuve2df1gnomm1n5doe3jKF7C6Rng2>
as well as people.

*Important Note: Because the 'O-helo berry is eaten by the protected
Ne-ne- Goose do not pick any berries you find in the park.*

Related to the 'O-helo is the 'O-helo kau la- au. This plant grows much
taller, up to 6 ft and is more of a bush. The leaves and berries are
much larger as well. The berries are also edible and when ripe can be
quite sweet - though this variety is much harder to find.

Good Mana!

Tom Gilliard