[SoaS] SoaS New Delhi Pilot Possible Collaboration

John Tierney jtis4stx at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 17:55:35 EDT 2010

Hi Harriet and Anurag, David, and
Francis,
In case you have not met and corresponded I wanted to facilitate this
connection because I believe it can provide beneficial collaboration
for all involved. I would have done this sooner but was traveling in
Europe most of the month of May.

With the SoaS Pilot to soon be starting in New Delhi, I thought your
groups could be helpful to each other.

Anurag and Team meet Harriet Vidyasagar, she is with Out of India-
http://www.outofindia.net/,I originally met her at the One Laptop per Child
Global Workshop in May 2008. We recently reconnected through posts about
the SoaS Creation Kit and the Sugar Workshop we just put on at the Computers
and Writing Conference at Purdue May 22. It was myself, Dr. Gerald Ardito(Just
defended Dissertation on Sugar Changing Learning Environment 5/21-XO's in 5 fifth
grade classrooms and Dell 2100 and SoaS in 1 5th grade class), Tammy
Conrad-Salvo:Assoc.Director Purdue Writing Center, Walter Bender via Adobe
Connect, and Dr. Rich Rice Texas Tech Multiple Literacy Lab via Adobe Connect.

Harriet here is the link to the New Delhi SoaS project and thread below
also gives explanation.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick_in_Delhi_India

At the Computers and Writing Conference about 350 attendees received a
CD/DVD Combination.

The CD contained the Sugar Image that Gerald Ardito has been using
in the Fifth Grade Classroom in New York-Sugar Demo

Sugar iso (disk 1)
http://idisk.mac.com/geraldar//Public/soas-st-20091004-ss.iso

The DVD contained the Sugar on a Stick Creation Kit which has been
wonderfully put together by Thomas Gilliard.

Creation Kit and Goodies (disk 2)
http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/SugarCreatonKit07.iso

This was version07 and now he has released version09 which also includes
the new Mirabelle offerings.

http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/Sugar-Creation-Kit-09.iso

Would be great for you to take these images and create DVD's and CD's to distribute especially
to the University Level contacts you try to forge in India. Our hope is to get the
SoaS Creation Kit into a delivery form and lower level of technical language to allow
the less technically inclined to become Sugar on a Stick Creation Stations. By copying
these files to their own computers they can then hand DVD on to colleagues and so on,
building a vast ecosystem of Sugar enablers.

I have attached handout from the Workshop. It was formed around how
we could create collaborative relationships between the University
and K-12 Instructors to use Sugar as the platform to provide writing
resources and activities to the entire learning continuum. Having writing
resources for each grade level available locally on a USB Stick would be
a major step forward.

I hope this turns into a beneficial collaboration. Let me know
if there is anything else I can do to help facilitate.

Best In Your Travels and Pilot!

John Tierney

Contact Info:
Anurag Goel - agoel23 at gmail.com