[SoaS] [realness] Re: [realness] Sugar On A Stick for Macintosh

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sun Jul 25 15:21:29 EDT 2010

Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> El Sat, 24-07-2010 a las 13:50 -0400, Carlos Rabassa escribió:
>
>> Thanks Bernie,  Thanks Bert,  Thanks Pato,
>>
>> What a community!
>>
>> Three answers complementing and confirming each other in the same
>> morning!
>>
>> (Deleted the copy to SoaS; I´m not a member.)
>>
>> Now I believe I have a very clear picture.
>>

>> If I have to reboot the computer from the usb drive,  I believe it is
>> very easy,  I have no problem with that.
>>
>> It was a frequently used emergency procedure in the days where it was
>> common to try to start the computer the usual way and finding there
>> was a problem.
>>
>> But,  it is extremely inconvenient,  you lose the use of the computer
>> for all other applications until you shut down and start again.
>>
>> Many of the emulators we found when we started learning the XO without
>> having one,  worked like that.
>>

> Emulators and virtual machines are definitely more convenient than
> bootable USB systems, but there's a cost involved: they generally
> require more memory and a faster processor to run two operating systems
> stacked one on top of the other.
>
> For production use with old school computers or cheap netbooks, one is
> better off booting directly into Sugar.
>
> I think we should provide virtual machine images for the purpose of
> easily demoing Sugar on computers like yours.

Here is one:

It built is a while ago
It would be easy to make more if they are needed
it requires Sun Virtualbox (not ose) to do import.....
It is available for Mac I believe.

http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/soas-v3-MirabelleREADME_FIRST.txt
http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/soas-v3-Mirabelle.vmdk
http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/soas-v3-Mirabelle.ovf