[SoaS] [realness] Sugar On A Stick for Macintosh

pbrobinson at gmail.com pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 18:52:54 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 24.07.2010, at 12:11, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>
>> (cc'ing the soas list)
>>
>> El Sat, 24-07-2010 a las 10:07 -0400, Carlos Rabassa escribió:
>>> Thanks, Bernie,
>>>
>>> Hope my request was clear.
>>>
>>> I would like to hear in plain English,  suitable for retired old
>>> engineers like me,  teachers, relatives and volunteers whether or not
>>> Sugar On A Stick is ready to be used by the general public without any
>>> special knowledge or precautions.
>>
>> I'm not sure about it because I've not yet tested the latest release
>> SoaS-3 Mirabelle. This question would be better answered by the SoaS
>> folks.
>>

>>> If the answer is yes,  I would like to know if it is OK to use Windows
>>> and if it is OK to use MacOS10.
>>
>> I'm even less sure about this. I know there were problems *booting*
>> SoaS-2 on Intel Macs. Maybe these have been solved now.
>
> I don't think so. Or it has been silently fixed and not advertised. But Mac support would be a major achievement so I think it would have been mentioned. The only way I was ever able to run Sugar on a Mac was using a PC emulator. Personally I still wouldn't boot my Mac into SoaS even if it worked. I find VMs much more convenient.

There's two issues with SoaS on Mac's. I've been working for the last
2 releases to try and get this fixed.

The 64 bit version of SoaS-3 should work fine on most Macs but there
are still a few issues but only with certain models.

There's two issues:

The first is that linux in general doesn't support booting a 32 bit
kernel from a 64 bit EFI devices (all recent Macs). I'm not sure of
the exact details but I'm hoping we'll finally get it fixed for
SoaS-4. Not an issue if you use the 64 bit verion.

The second is to do with Mac graphics and that no all video cards get
initialised properly but again I'm hoping this will be fixed for
SoaS-4.

Unfortunately both of the above are unfortunate but both aren't SoaS
dependent issues but rather impact the linux community as a whole but
as mentioned I'm hoping they will both be fixed for SoaS-4.