[SoaS] Physics-5.tar.bz2 now on sunjammer

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 24 18:10:03 EDT 2010

Hi Luke,

On 24 Jul 2010, at 22:07, Luke Faraone wrote:

> On 07/24/2010 03:46 PM, Gary C Martin wrote:
>> Just a quick ping on some .tar.bz2 uploads for those interested (Bernie kindly reactivated my sunjammer shell account, will upload .bz2's here until we have a more sane solution):
>>
>> 	http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/Physics/Physics-5.tar.bz2
>> 	http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/Moon/Moon-11.tar.bz2
>
> Gary,
>
> Thank you for providing tarballs for Physics. I looked at the tarballs,
> and although it contains mostly Python source for Physics, it contains
> several "binary blobs" in lib/, namely eggs for Elements and Box2D.
> While this can be useful for .XO releases, when you're producing
> binaries for specific platforms, it's a complication for packagers, who
> (at least in Debian) have to repack the tarball to exclude such files.
>
> In future releases, could you provide a source-only tarball, rather than
> one with bundled eggs?

Sorry, that is currently well beyond my ability. Physics is something I picked up maintainer ship of, though I do understand there is a Box 2D binary blob in there (source code available else where, in a svn rep I think last time I looked), Elements is all python source I believe. The whole packaging game at the system level is a pretty alien concept to me. FWIW I'm a developer on the Mac platform, bundles there are all self contained built against the last few OS X releases (good for 5-10 year support), kind'a why the .xo makes such sense to me.

Regards,
--Gary