[SoaS] [SugarClone] -was Re: You scream, I scream, ...

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 00:00:39 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another small update is available for Sugar Clone, a tool to clone a
> customized Sugar on a Stick installation onto another USB stick.

Re: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Sugar_Clone

Available at:

1. Substituted the underlying modified_livecd-iso-to-disk shell script
   to match the proposed updates to livecd-iso-to-disk for the Fedora
   livecd-tools component.

> 2. The above includes the copy-home and copy-overlay options as before,
   but fixes a few logic bugs while warning about the available free
   space for the installation.

3. It also updates the local variable names to match the more general
   scope of the image exchange (for example, $SRC replaces $ISO and
   $TGTDEV replaces $USBDEV).

4. Updated the internal usage help messages.  The option --help displays
   the complete manual.

5. Standardized the Bash conditional expression and list pipeline style
 to the more modern, [[ Expression && Expression ]] format.
 (See http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/syntax/ccmd/conditional_expression.)
 This means that variables within the special double brackets need not
 be quoted, and the old, test-type operators -a, -o should not be used.

6. Standardized the whitespace to make the code much more readable.

Test Usage:

1. Before booting the SoaS device that will be the source of the new

>    Sugar Clone, copy the SugarClone script to the root, '/', folder at

>    the base of the filesystem for the device, or, to /mnt/live (from

>    the perspective of a running LiveOS image).

2. Boot the computer from the USB stick into SoaS, and insert, or have

>    a second USB device inserted, into the computer.

3. In the Terminal Activity of that running SoaS image, enter the

>    command,

If there is more than one USB/SD storage device available, a menu of
the devices will appear allowing you to select the target device.

The scripts will copy the currently running image to the target device. When
that device is booted, a new, Sugar Learner sign-in will be triggered.  The
previously customized Journal and operating system will be present on the
Sugar Clone.

On a running LiveOS image, the root folder of the USB/SD device is

> available at the /mnt/live mount point.  The SugarClone script can be
obtained (assuming Internet connectivity) as follows:

1. In the Terminal Activity, change the working directory:

   cd /mnt/live

2. wget http://people.sugarlabs.org/fgrose/SugarClone

3. chmod +x SugarClone

at this point, you may simply execute