[SoaS] Problem with Mirabelle and USB Boot

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 00:36:22 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Marc Karasek <marckarasek at gmail.com>wrote:

>  I was involved with the thread you mentioned, Fred.
>
> It looks to me like the image is looking for the name "FEDORA" at some
> point in the boot to mount root??  I need to look into this further to make
> sure.  If you make a stick and have it named anything other than FEDORA, it
> looks like the boot fails.

(on some computers)

>   I do not know if this is tied to the other gentleman's problem of not
> saving information across a boot.  I think that may have been a case of not
> specifying any persistent storage in liveusb.
>
> Marc
>
>  no root device found
>>
>>  sleeping forever
>>
>> This search on the Fedora wiki for "sleeping forever",
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&ns0=1&ns4=1&ns6=1&ns12=1&ns14=1&ns106=1&ns108=1&ns110=1&ns112=1&ns114=1&ns116=1&search=%22sleeping+forever%22&fulltext=Advanced+search

suggests that there was a "Live USB label bug" in Fedora 12 that may have
originated the said workaround.  Consider also the possibility that you may
have a hardware detection problem (with video, audio, or some other peculiar
hardware on your system) that is triggering the boot failure.  You may want
to test on other computers.

Fedora has not changed their Live USB loading instructions with all the
information that they have.  And generally, others have are booting
successfully with arbitrarily-labelled devices.

 {...}

We can hope that those familiar with Syslinux booting of Fedora LiveOS
> images can better explain the failures and partial recovery.
>
>  Sometimes the symptoms you report are peculiar to corrupted filesystems
> or boot sectors.  You may want to  troubleshoot those aspects (by
> reformatting or reseting the master boot record, if possible, some pointers
> here,
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB#Errors_and_Solutions)
> or experiment with different devices.
>
>  Have you any results from the above suggestions?

Sorry that you are having so much trouble.  It's good that you are sharing
your experiences so that the community can try to understand and resolve the
problems!

        --Fred