[SoaS] Problem with Mirabelle and USB Boot

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 00:01:21 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Marc Karasek <marckarasek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is to continue the discussion on having to name the USB Stick FEDORA.

> If you look back a few releases, the instructions used to say name the USB
> Stick Fedora before you installed the image.

> It looks like the live-usb creator program is using the USB sticks nameto
> generate the UUID that is in the .cfg file.  I think that at some point in
> the boot, something is looking to mount the USB stick and it seems to be
> looking "Fedora" as the name for the image.

> I would have to dig into the boot sequence to see at what point it fails.

> I do know that if you either change the USB stick name and .cfg file after
> installing or name it Fedora before you install the image, it will boot.
>  Otherwise you end up with the error message:

>  no root device found

sleeping forever

> Marc

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Marc Karasek <marckarasek at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>  OK,

> To prevent it name the sticks Fedora prior to putting the image on them.

(This step should be added to the online instructions.)

>  Fredrick Grose :

> Before doing this we need a discussion of why naming the device 'Fedora' is
> needed.

The discussion shows this to be an incomplete installation,
http://www.mail-archive.com/soas@lists.sugarlabs.org/msg01570.html.

We can hope that those familiar with Syslinux booting of Fedora LiveOS
images can better explain the failures and partial recovery.

Sometimes the symptoms you report are peculiar to corrupted filesystems or
boot sectors.  You may want to  troubleshoot those aspects (by reformatting
or reseting the master boot record, if possible, some pointers here,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB#Errors_and_Solutions)
or experiment with different devices.

Sorry for the incomplete answer.

Thank you for you efforts!   Let us know what you learn.

        --Fred