[SoaS] Activity inclusion for SoaS-4

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 13 09:57:50 EDT 2010

On 13 Jul 2010, at 09:13, "pbrobinson at gmail.com" <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Gary Martin
> <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> On 12 Jul 2010, at 22:16, pbrobinson at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi SoaS people,
>>>
>>> So the current Sugar Activity list for SoaS-4 stands as follows with
>>> the justifications as to why they're included.
>>>
>>> The basic idea is to include the core Sucrose/Fructose Activity list
>>> (as long as they are actively maintained and work) and then a small
>>> selection of Activities that are well supported and demonstrate the
>>> features of the Sugar Learning platform such as the collaboration side
>>> of it to contribute towards the K-6 side of SoaS's targets.
>>>
>>> So the core sugar Fructose activities [1] list is:
>>> Browse
>>> Chat
>>> EToys
>>> Log
>>> Pippy
>>> Read
>>> Terminal
>>> TurtleArt
>>> Write
>>>
>>> These ones are also on the Fructose list but I'm not sure of their
>>> status so we need to be convinced of their status:
>>> Calculate
>>
>> FWIW Calculate is now next on my it list, the version in git is as yet unreleased, it was updated with new toolbar support for 0.86 and a bunch of fixes but the release was overlooked. Want to give it another testing pass here, and will see if there are some low hanging bug fixes I could make from trac.
>
> Excuse my ignorance but what list?

The list in my head, and my notes, as a SL volunteer trying to pick low hanging fruit :)

> I also don't currently see it on
> the list of packages available in F-13 (didn't check as far as the
> packages in Review though).
>
>>> Image/ImageViewer
>>> Jukebox
>>>
>>> To the Fructose list we're adding:
>>> Physics - Because this is a great demo example (quick demo).
>>> Record - Because its useful and kids tend to like recording/photoing stuff.
>>> xoirc - Because this helps us help them.
>>
>> Just called IRC these days.
>>
>>> paint - K-6 and enjoyed by kids
>>> memorize - K-6 and enjoyed by kids
>>> speak - Good for voice demos
>>>
>>> So the current planned inclusion list is as follows:
>>> Browse
>>> Chat
>>> EToys
>>> Log
>>> Pippy
>>> Read
>>> Terminal
>>> TurtleArt
>>> Write
>>> Physics
>>> Record
>>> xoirc
>>> paint
>>> memorize
>>> speak
>>>
>>> That currently gives us a list of 15 Activities. Its obviously not the
>>> final list and I look forward to suggestions. Its not guaranteed the
>>> above list remain the same. For example Read still does not work. And
>>> we're not aiming to get to the same level of previous releases, its
>>> currently not maintainable with the current SoaS resources.
>>>
>>> Things to note are that the Activities need to be working, well
>>> maintained, packaged in Fedora to be considered. To be in Fedora they
>>> can't contain any binary blobs (if they have code that needs to be
>>> compiled, that's fine but it must be done as per Fedora packaging
>>> guidelines).
>>
>> Hmm, Physics has always had a binary blob in it (_Box2D.so in a Python .egg), the packaging dance is an alien to me so perhaps Sebastian did some magic there (FWIW Physics is up to version 5 with new toolbar support, grab tool works while simulation is paused, code clean-up, and latest translations).
>
> I'll double check it with sebastian but there's a pybox2d in Fedora
> that is maintained by Sebastian so I suspect we're OK in that case.
>
>> I can email someone the Physics-5.tar.bz2 if needed? Folks don't seem to want these files on the wiki, and individual shell accounts for access is a real pain, if that's the only thing you ever use the account for – I gave up uploading last year, and I'm sure Bernie has better things to spend his time on :)
>
> I would prefer it on a web space somewhere, do you have a people.sl.org account?

That's the one I gave up using last year. Only ever needed it to scp up activity source files using my ssh key a hand full of times a year.

Regards,
--Gary