[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SOAS 2 problems

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Jan 28 11:05:30 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 13:32 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Yes, but no. The support booting of their own proprietary images so
> you'd have to produce a separate image for each type of VM technology
> you wish to use and then ensure you have the drivers included in the
> kernel as well. In most cases you need non open tools to be able to
> produce these images as well. Hence the reason that the easiest way to
> support all VMs is to use a .iso image and let the user use liveinst
> to install to the VM technology of their choice. It gets even more
> complex if you wish to support it using the Virtual Desktop stuff that
> is hitting the market..... that is a whole new level of fun!

Sadly, you're right. I had forgotten because recenrtly I've been using
only QEMU, which uses plain files (besides its "proprietary" format
cow2).

Ok, I agree that the .iso file will have to stay around, which doesn't
prevent livecd-iso-to-disk from being buried for good. liveinst might
indeed be the right tool for all the usecases we care about: VMs, USB
sticks and hard-drive installations.

Later, we may also consider uploading a few pre-converted images for the
convenience of users.