[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SOAS 2 problems

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Wed Jan 27 08:28:06 EST 2010

Xander Pirdy wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Thomas C Gilliard <
> satellit at bendbroadband.com> wrote:
>

>>  I have done it. and it works. NO Persistence though
>>
>> opensuse-edu does this also with an added twist. you can use fdisk (or a
>> script) to build a persistence partition after creating th usb with dd:
>>

> Unless I am mistaken, you would also be able to manually make the overlay,
> though you might have to tweak syslinux.cfg (I think) afterwards as well. I
> also think that this is similar to what the image-writer script on the main
> page does.
>
> If you are using partitions to create persistence though we again may loose
> some features.
> 1) The space for the overlay is much more limited, or the initial partition
> (FAT) is unusable for anything else.

opensuse creates a real file system on the usb on first boot.
the second partition is looked for on boot and used if present
check with cyberorg on #sugar or #opensuse-edu for details
(he is in INDIA so be aware of time zones)
> 2) I am unsure about booting a virtual machine if it will be able to mount
> multiple partitions at boot, it might be feasable, but it also
> might just unnecessarily complicate things. Especially if the persistence
> partition was in something that windows couldn't read - I have no idea how
> this would act.

not needed for virtual machine here:
This is a bootable USB with persistence + a real file system you can edit