[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SOAS 2 problems

Xander Pirdy xander.pirdy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 07:48:56 EST 2010

> Yes, this could indeed be the simplest solution: tell users to create a
> read-only installation media by burning the ISO. Since Fedora 12, the
> live ISO image also contains a bootable MBR, so users can just dd it to
> a master USB stick:
>
>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo#Using_dd

Correct me if I am wrong, this tutorial seems to be a bit ambiguous on the
point,
but would you loose persistence if you simply dd the iso? If not  where is
the
storage for this located, or is it just a full-type of installation? If it
is a full installation
then this would mean that either you loose a journaling ext3/4 fs on the
usb, or it
will become inaccessible  via windows (on a typical installation, and where
the
user doesn't have admin rights)...correct? If it is ever a goal to be able
to boot via
a virtual machine on windows wouldn't this make that impossible?

I may just not be understanding you correctly, in which case my apologies. I
do
think that a full installation has more drawbacks than it seems initially.
For
example wouldn't it be very easy to upgrade the current overlay method, by
just
replacing the iso? This could also make it very easy for teachers to
customize the
activities of the students.

-Alexander Pirdy