[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SOAS 2 problems

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jan 26 08:15:59 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 11:09 -0700, Douglas McClendon wrote:

> I don't think you understand the infrastructure yet.  The USB stick
> being full isn't an issue, because the new overlay is in RAM only.  The
> only way the user would fill up the second in RAM one, is the same way
> they would fill it up while using a nonpersistent liveusb or livecd.
> I.e. using it to the point that the ram available for it (by default
> half the ram available) fills up.  Clearly you didn't read what I said
> enough to understand the whole warning to the user about how this was a
> rescue mode to recover their data and reset the overlay.  Nothing more,
> nothing less.

I've read and understood everything the first time, but thanks for the
clarification.

Still, it looks very complicated and kludgy compared to the clean
solution of not doing anything at all: no squashfs, no loopback mounts,
no dm-snap, no warning messages, no recovery modes... No bugs at all.

Do you see a reason why a simple filesystem layout would be
undesiderable on today's 4GB flash drives?

> Either file a bug (and cc me) if you want it fixed, or not if you don't.

I'd like it fixed by skipping livecd-tools altogether.

> Please, stop criticizing, and start coding.  If you provide a better
> implementation, the world will thank you.  If all you can do is
> criticize without improving the code, to the point of alienating
> developers who can fix the legitimate problems you mention, then please
> shut up.

You see, there's nothing to code in my proposal. Only code to remove,
once we've agreed that this is the solution we should adopt.

> It's been fun.  But I don't have time for soas list anymore.  Please
> direct all further questions, comments, criticisms, bugs, directly to me
> via email.
>
> Good luck...

You will be missed.