[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SOAS 2 problems

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Jan 25 18:01:56 EST 2010

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:21, Sebastian Dziallas<sebastian at when.com>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> sorry for jumping in here so late. Comments inline.
>>
>> Bernie Innocenti wrote:

>>> Have you tried writing to the journal until you fill up the overlay
>>> space?
>>
>> On a reasonably big usb stick (with prices dropping all day long), this
>> problem will probably not be solved, but rather appear less and less.
>
> But the journal writes in $HOME which is in a separate partition?
>
> The overlay getting filled up is a real problem because its
> consequences, but would only affect users which write to root-owned
> places, unless I'm missing something?
>
> I think that in many SoaS scenarios, we don't need an overlay file of
> more than a hundred KBs for whatever config files daemons may write.

It depends. When creating SoaS, you've several options. You can for
example have a separate overlay file for /home. However, just having one
big overlay file is the most common approach by now, as that's the one
liveusb-creator supports and the one we've been talking about lately
when it came to livecd-iso-to-disk. So in this case, our big overlay
file would take all changes.

--Sebastian