[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SOAS 2 problems

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 04:48:32 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 15:31 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >
> > liveinst is the official Fedora tool. Its part of anaconda.
> [...]
> > dd or rawwrite isn't exactly what I would class as easy to use for the
> > average user.
> [...]
> > That's the advantage of liveinst. Boot the live CD/Key and it deals
> > with all of that. As long as the key is large enough for the contents
> > of the livecd it will then expand out the filesystem to fill the
> > install destination as part of the procedure.
> [...]
> > That's much better than reinventing the wheel.
> >
> I agree, but there's a "bootstrap" problem: people who want to crete a
> bootable USB image for the first time do not have access to liveinst,
> yet.
>
> How should the initial SoaS image be distributed? The ISO is one
> possibility, but it forces users to burn a CD-ROM and boot it only once
> in order to create the USB stick. Sounds dumb.
>
> Moreover, CD-ROMs and seem to be fading away very quickly. My new laptop
> doesn't have a CD burner, and I'm not planning to carry around an
> external unit.

You can use livecd-iso-to-disk to put it onto a USB key so you don't need to
burn a copy, and from there you can do liveinst to as many keys as you want.
So you'll need a "master USB key" to create others but there is no need for
a CD-ROM at all. I use this method all the time without issue. I don't own a
CD/DV drive anymore, my work laptop has one which has been replaced with a
battery.