[SoaS] Planning towards SoaS v3

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sat Jan 23 10:26:42 EST 2010

Walter Bender wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 3:50 AM, Peter Robinson<pbrobinson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Caroline Meeks<solutiongrove at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

[...]

>> For example I've seen you have issues booting Apple devices with the SoaS.
>> Every single Intel based Mac uses EFI to boot and hence should work out of
>> the box with SoaS and shouldn't require the helper CD. If it doesn't work we
>> need to work out why and fix the bug, not plaster it over with an ugly hack.
>
> +1
>
>> In general it makes people's experience of using Sugar on a Stick less
>> pleasant and hence less likely to keep on using it. Its a constant confusion
>> and problem on the lists as well.
>
> Not being able to boot does make the experience less pleasant. But
> removing boot options is not the obvious fix, IMHO.

I don't think Peter's point was intended to be a "we'll nuke the boot cd
unconditionally, leaving all people using it out in the rain no matter
what", but was rather a "let's work on figuring out what's really wrong
here, so that we might not need a boot cd anymore by the end of the day".

Anyway.

I like the idea of having specific test weeks or sessions, like we did
for Blueberry with the test day (which could be extended, indeed). It
looks like we could use a real QA team...

--Sebastian