[SoaS] Direct SoaS

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Tue Jan 19 04:03:08 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> [cc += soas@]
>
> Context: I've ripped SoaS apart to generate a USB stick which boots
> directly off ext3 using Grub. It feels a lot faster, it's cleaner, and
> certainly doesn't die miserably after writing too much to the LVM overlay.
>
> The main downside is that the USB stick is no longer usable with Windows
> until reformatted. A small loss, if you ask me :-)

There are a few ways people could try to get this working by also
having a small NTFS partition on the stick with some software that
would let Windows somehow use the ext3 partition:

1. ext3 filesystem access - several programs
http://www.howtoforge.com/access-linux-partitions-from-windows

2. coLinux
http://www.colinux.org/

3. Maybe qemu (caroline also expressed interest in QEMU-Puppy type
functionality)
http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/

--
Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark