[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SOAS 2 problems

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 20:05:27 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Douglas McClendon <
dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org> wrote:

> On 01/28/2010 02:38 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Douglas McClendon
>> <dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
>> <mailto:dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 01/27/2010 06:32 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>

>>         > - Can be easily booted on all Virtualisation solutions
>>         > (KVM/Zen/VMWare/Virtualbox/Fusion/Hyper-V etc) with no changes
>> as
>>            they
>>         > all support booting off a CD iso image (your proposal would
>>        need the
>>         > VM drivers for at least storage to work properly for all of
>> them)
>>
>>            They also all support booting off a hard drive image, right?
>>        Which is
>>            what we'd do.
>>

>>        Yes, but no. The support booting of their own proprietary images so
>>        you'd have to produce a separate image for each type of VM
>>        technology
>>        you wish to use and then ensure you have the drivers included in
>> the
>>        kernel as well. In most cases you need non open tools to be able to
>>        produce these images as well. Hence the reason that the easiest
>>        way to
>>        support all VMs is to use a .iso image and let the user use
>>        liveinst to
>>        install to the VM technology of their choice. It gets even more
>>        complex
>>

>>    Peter,  It seems Bernie brought up the fact that despite
>>    zyx-liveinstaller being prominently featured on the blueberry
>>    download page, that people like him still aren't getting the message
>>    that it exists in blueberry, and already provides the functionality
>>    you attribute to liveinst, which is not in blueberry, but may be in
>>    future releases.
>>
>>    Can you please do the community the favor of mentioning
>>    zyx-liveinstaller as an existing, supported, featured, alternative
>>    the possible future use of liveinst?
>>
>>    Or if you have some technical criticism of zyx-liveinstaller that
>>    merits its absense from your discussions, please explain it to me.
>>

>> I have no experience of zyx-liveinstaller and hence the reason I haven't
>> mentioned it. If I've not used it I won't venture an opinion. Nothing
>> sinister.
>>
>> liveinst is part of anaconda and hence what is used by Fedora upstream.
>> With SoaS-3 becoming an official Fedora spin we're required to include
>> it there and hence my mention of it.
>>

> And it doesn't strike you as a good idea, to try it out and form an
> opinion, to factor into your discussion of an alternate application that
> performs the same function?  Clearly you are very interested in the
> function, but not so interested as to skim the blueberry download page,
> notice the prominent featured application that already provides the
> functionality, and give it a go before entering lengthy discussions about
> future alternatives?

I'm not entering into lengthy discussions about future alternatives. And as
for opinion, I don't have an opinion on either technology as I'm sure they
both have advantages asn disadvanrages and I've never suggested
removing zyx-liveinstaller from blueberry or any future release. I'm not
sure why you are attacking me (twice), I've mearly bringing up the liveinst
utility as a possible alternative for the issues that Bernie has bought up
in this thread. This has nothing to do with to do with zyx-liveinstaller or
SOAS in general. As for inclusion of liveinst in SoaS-3 as we are going to a
Fedora SPIN based release we have a number of requirements that Fedora
imposes on us as part of that. One of those is the inclusion of anaconda [1]
which includes liveinst, that doesn't stop us from including other tools and
doesn't make us promote liveinst over other alternatives. It means we just
have to have it there. And on your point of reading the download page, I
have, I know about zyx-liveinstaller but I've not had the time to actually
try it. It was on my ToDo list, note the was. I'm not sure why your so
touchy about people mentioning other tools than zyx-liveinstaller, I'm sure
it is a very good utility but as the saying goes, there is more than one way
to skin a cat.

Regards,
Peter

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_Guidelines