[SoaS] F14 SoaS USB boot hang issue at SYSLINUX using Windows LiveUSB creator

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 10:59:01 EST 2010

Folks:

Just did this process for first time and found an issue and then came up
with an ad-hoc solution which I posted on another use-group.  I have been
informed I should re-post it here; but as a newcomer to this list,  sorry if
this is already a known issue and a known solution, but here goes:.

>The new F14 live SoaS spin from the Sugarlabs link, when put onto a USB
stick using the Fedora Windows
>Live-USB-Creator, hangs immediately on the attempted boot at the initial "
SYSLINUX 3.81 ....."   line.
>It would appear that this 3.81 version used by the Windows creator may be
too old for F14.
> I noticed on a raw F14-DVD ISO spin, that it was using 4.02 SYSLINUX.

> So, I poked around and found that there is this neat little zip archive up
at
>http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/4.xx/syslinux-4.02.zip.
If you unzip it then drill down
>into the win32 (or win64 if you are using a 64-bit machine to build)  and
then copy that decompressed
>syslinux.exe over the one in the LiveUSB program file "Tools" sub
directory, and then go ahead and
>re-build the USB stick, all is good.

>On a tangential note, the new SoaS build doesnt appear in the dropdown for
LiveUSB Creator yet, but
>downloading it from the Sugarlabs spins to the machine, and then using the
browse function on the creator
>pointing to the downloaded ISO wokrs fine. (Just a friendly reminder to
increase the persistent storage, on a
>4GB stick I chose 1220 and it seems to work fine).  The USB stick was
formatted to FAT32, 32kb blocks, with
>Name FEDORA before running the create. And o yeah, don't forget to change
the BIOS boot order to pick the
>USB HDD as the first device.

Cheers,

KG