[SoaS] Advice on Sugar installation - Soas on VMworkstation

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Thu Aug 19 16:12:44 EDT 2010

Mark Malaspina wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>

> Can you clarify for us - what exactly is an .iso file?  Do we need an
> .iso file on VMplayer, and if so, which .iso file do you recommend?
>

> - Mark

I would use:

http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/soas-3-mirabelle.iso

Download it first then in VMworkstation:

===Step by step instructions for VMworkstation===

In VM workstation
Create a new virtual machine
Custom
* note use custom or installer will not recognize HD
Workstation 6.5 compatible
Installer disc image file (iso)  Browse
(select the soas-3-mirabelle.iso file you just downloaded)
Guest Operating System
 2. linux
 Red Hat Linux
Name the Virtual Machine (Type in name you want and accept the Location)
Processors
 one
Memory  (512 or larger)
Network Type  (Nat)
I/O adapter types (BusLogic)
Create a New DiskDisk type (IDE) (Independent) (Persistent)
Disk Size (8.0) (Split virtual disk into 2 GB files)
next
File name (label what you want)
Finish
Boots to CD  to Sugar
===============
Name___________
Click to change color(XO)
Done
Sugar Starts on f3 ring display
===============
 >to install to VM-Hard Disk:
sugar-terminal:
su
livieinst
(Anaconda installer starts)
f13 (next)
keyboard (US English)
Basic Storage Devices
Re-initialize all
localhost.localdomain
Set time zone (City)
Root Password
Use All Space
Write Changes to disk (copying live image to hard drive)
Congratulations (reboot)
exit sugar-terminal
click on XO in center of ring
shutdown
edit virtual machine settings (change to Use a Physical Drive )
save
Power on this virtual machine
sugar boots with blue horizontal bar
Welcome screen
User Name and password
Date and Time
Send Profile
Log in by clicking you user name; Password
back to change name then click to change color
done.

Congratulations you now have a hard disk install of Sugar!

Hint:
(Use the globe (Browse) to access the wiki.)

Have fun;

Tom Gilliard
satellit