[SoaS] /var/cache/abrt is an overlay killer

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 22:50:22 EDT 2010

/var/cache/abrt is another directory that can quickly fill the operating
system overlay file.  In testing I've noticed 10s to 100s of megabytes in
coredumps in subdirectories of /var/cache/abrt/.

The abrt application doesn't present itself in Sugar, so a use model
allowing for a non persistent cache seems reasonable.

Lines 263 to 268 of
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/soas/repos/mainline/blobs/master/fedora-live-mini.ks
# make it so that we don't do writing to the overlay for things which
# are just tmpdirs/caches
mount -t tmpfs -o mode=0755 varcacheyum /var/cache/yum
mount -t tmpfs tmp /tmp
mount -t tmpfs vartmp /var/tmp
[ -x /sbin/restorecon ] && /sbin/restorecon /var/cache/yum /tmp /var/tmp
>/dev/null 2>&1

adding
mount -t tmpfs -o mode=0755 varcacheabrt /var/cache/abrt

would serve to preserve overlay life.