[SoaS] [Marketing] SOAS-3: Final Activity List - Attention needed!

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue Apr 27 13:38:04 EDT 2010

John Tierney wrote:
> [...]
> If we do give out Mirabelle, I want to be able to be very clear with Audience
>
> on expectations with additional activities. If this is framed in the correct way
>
> we could turn this into a group of activities testers.(Since they are Computers
>
> and Writing group they are very technically oriented but that does not mean
>
> on the command line) As part of our presentation we will be talking about University
>
> Level Professors and Students collaborating with K-12 Teachers in a multi-discipline
>
> way reaching out to College of Education and College of Computer Science colleagues
>
> to participate with student project work as resources.
>

> I believe we are all working towards the same goal. From the marketing,
> educational outreach, not so techy side of things, I believe we need some
> help actually understanding the process of getting the activities qualified, the
> time frame(timeline), the upstream-downstream relationships. I along with the
> Teachers, Educators, University Professors outside of Computer Science have
> a hard time understanding and visualizing the process.
>

> Possibly a Workflow/Mindmap/Timeline Project Map that explains the SoaS Process,
>
> the Sugar build, the Fedora build, the connections/constraints as they relate to
>
> Upstream-Downstream, who is Upstream-Downstream, the dates when activity testing
>
> should take place, and any other tasks/constraints that relate to putting together this
>
> successful build. If you could come up with a one page visual that would be enormously
>
> helpful to our messaging and help new members of the Sugar Community understand the
>
> mechanisms and processes related to FOSS projects. Having a Big Picture view helps
>
> understand where your individual work fits in and also helps with the expectation aspect.
> Clear, Simple, Visual.
>
> After this stable build with group of activities is released, what is process and what
> will it take to get other activities working?
>

> Some questions:
> Is there a plan to include with the release a Guide with Screenshots for Bug Tracking
>
> (How to file bug and where for SoaS 3), Activity testing reports, USB Creator. For the
>
> Elementary teacher, College of Education individual, and the students the screenshot
>
> variety of tutorial is essential. If not I understand  with lack of resources, but could
>
> this possibly be worked on following release.(I read in the threads that some documentation
>
> is being included) Doing a little extra here by going beyond written instuctions on the wiki
>
> and putting together these screenshot tutorials will help the future users of Sugar tremendously.
>
> Another question would be after they receive Mirabelle and go to ASLO to get
> more activities what exactly happens?
> Do they just try and download any Activity and see if they work?
> Will they be prevented from downloading non-working activities?
>
> Do we have a second list of partially working or completely broken activities?

No but the versions of sugar they are designed for are listed on ASLO

Some Suggestions:
1-)Download

   http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/ASLO.iso

It contains 111 activities to burn to a CD
You can use them from the CD or put them on a USB Stick and drag drop
them from the stick into the running sugar journal.
This is a way to do quick installs without internet access.
Users can test them and remove them if they do not work. ( it is
included in the DVD listed below)

2-) Download and burn the DVD:

  http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/SugarCreatonKit07.iso

This has pdf.s of the Floss Manuals and Many other source and learning
materials :
==What is on this DVD?==
   version .07

* What is Sugar.pdf
(http://en.flossmanuals.net/sugar)

*-Read Me First Floss Manuals {Folder}
http://en.flossmanuals.net
(Browse)
(Chat)
(funWith the Journal)
(Make Your Own Activities)
 >How to write sugar activities by James Simmons
(Write)
(Record)
(The Terminal)
(Turtle art)
(Write)

*CONTENTS OF DVD.txt
(listing of DVD Contents-THIS DOCUMENT)

*-The Undiscoverable Features of Sugar.pdf
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Undiscoverable
125mb

*-soas-2-blueberry-direct-cleared-3GB.img.xz
http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/soas-3-20100319-2GBUSB-Corrected.img.bz2
440mb
(stable 4 GB USB img file for Blueberry with ext3 file structure)
use this command in root terminal to write: dd if=xxxxx.img of=/dev/sd(*)
* path to your USB BE Certain this is correct, VERY DANGEROUS!

*-soas-3-20100319.iso
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/3/soas-3-20100319.iso
454m
(Stable f13 spin with minimal number of applications)

*-soas-2-blueberry.iso
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/soas-2-blueberry.iso
380m
(Burn this to a CD and Boot with it)

*-soas-1-strawberry.iso
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/soas-1-strawberry.iso
380m
(Burn this to a CD and Boot with it)

* SugarClone {folder}
  http://people.sugarlabs.org/fgrose/
(script files for making a customized live USB Self-replicating)
( superclone.pdf)
( modified_livecd-iso-to-disk)
( newSugarStick)
( SugarClone)
( transferSugarImage)
( Duplicating SoaS with customization.txt)

*-livecd-iso-to-disk.sh
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh
21.k
*-How to Make a USB Stick.txt
(instructions on how to use the above script)

*-soas-1-boot.iso
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/soas-1-boot.iso
8.4m
(Use as CD to Boot strawberry v1 USB for older PC's)

*-soas-2-boot.iso
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/soas-2-boot.iso
14m
(Use as CD to Boot Blueberry v2 USB for older PC's)

*-image-writer-mac
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/image-writer-mac
 6.8k
(Intel Mac-use to make a non persistent USB from an .iso file)

*-image-writer
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/image-writer
7.9k
(use to make a non persistent USB from an .iso file)

*-HOW TO MAKE an ISO from a CD or DVD.txt

*-How to Make a USB Stick.txt

*-How To Sugarize applications.txt

*-Working with Live USB's.txt

*-PREPARATION OF AN OPERATIONAL SoaS USB KEY
(Jean Thiéry [Jean.Thiery(ò)ModLibre.info][http://ModLibre.info/]
Member of OLPC-France [http://olpc-france.org])

*-ASLO.iso
http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/ASLO-xo.tar.gz
566m
(111 application.xo files copy to a USB and drag drop into sugar journal
to install them to Sugar)

*-Fedora-12-i386-netinst.iso
(Minimal CD to make your own custom fedora USB or Hard Disk install
REQUIRES HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNETCTION TO USE)
 Note: A USB install may take 6+ hrs at high speed

You could burn some of these DVD's and distribute them with Mirabelle.

Tom Gilliard
satellit