[SoaS] [IAEP] [support-gang] Quake Catcher Network

Nicholas Doiron ndoiron at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 19 17:49:47 EDT 2010

I do appreciate your response and thoughts on how it would be difficult to
collect data regularly.  I am hoping to install an XO-accessible weather
station in Uganda this summer. A device will monitor the sensor and
students can collect and post the data on their own schedule.

A large-scale project could start by choosing a simpler project where
students send reports about what they see.  Last December I was on a call
with DigiLiteracy.org and Cornell's volunteer science program.  Cornell is
interested in bird counts from OLPC schools in the US, India, and Latin
America. They also have a bilingual Celebrate Urban Birds program for city
schools. Here is a report about their work with a school in Costa Rica:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/netcommunity/Page.aspx?pid=1693

I would be happy to help in bringing this program back to life.  We have
put digital graphs, cameras, maps, and networks in schools around the
world; it would be amazing if we can connect them with practical science
projects.

Regards,
Nick Doiron