[SoaS] [support-gang] [IAEP] Quake Catcher Network

Nicholas Doiron ndoiron at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 18 20:26:00 EDT 2010

The accuracy of an individual sensor, yes, is suspect.  But that's why
Stanford is asking for many sensors to be registered -- a thousand or
laptops moving simultaneously (or in outgoing waves) could triangulate the
location of an earthquake before the waves even register at the main USGS
seismometers.

These projects also connect the kids to science in a direct way.  Most
volunteer science projects are a bit more hands-on and a little less
hardware-intensive.  I've been interested for awhile in seeing the laptops
connected to a project such as this -- see
http://www.scienceforcitizens.net/ for some more examples =)

Regards,
Nick Doiron