[SoaS] Quake Catcher Network

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 18 18:31:36 EDT 2010

Hi...

Here is something intriguing I heard about on NPR yesterday.  It is a Seismic Monitoring program that can run in the background on computers that have built-in accelerometers (newer Macs) or PCs with an external one with usb connection.  The hope is to have a world wide network of computers sensing quakes, especially in places where there are many quakes.

It is designed to be an educational project with schools involved doing "citizen science" (sort of like CoCoRaHS).  They have interactive/educational software and seismic monitoring software.

Disclaimer... I haven't tried the software yet so I can't recommend it one way or the other until I do.

Does the XO have an accelerometer? No matter if it doesn't because it has usb ports to spare.  Any chance of someone getting a version of the software to work on the XOs?  Maybe one of our developers who knows what would have to be done to get it to work on the XO could contact the Quake Catcher Network and ask it they could do it?

Here is a link to the site:

http://qcn.stanford.edu/downloads/

Looks like it is based at Stanford.

Caryl