[SoaS] [SugarClone] -was Re: You scream, I scream, ...

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 00:43:54 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Thomas C Gilliard <
satellit at bendbroadband.com> wrote:

 mv: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/live/owner.key':

>  Operation not permitted
>
>  mv: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/live/owner.key.pub':
>
>  Operation not permitted

 I believe that this is an indication that the key files are being

 tampered with by a user other than the owner. The files are moved

 anyway.

I thought it was because I did not specify the option to keep user id

SugarClone (through modified_livecd-iso-to-disk) copies everything in the
persistent overlay and /home folder, it it exists.  This would include the
private owner.key file if it weren't moved to outside of the LiveOS folder
before the modified_livecd-iso-to-disk script is called.

The key files are restored to their regular location before the
SugarClone script exits.

If the --keepuser option is requested, the key files will not be moved
before copying, and the SugarClone will be owned by the source image's
owner.  This would be used when the owner wanted a backup or archive of
their image.

          --Fred