[SoaS] [support-gang] SoaS on What Machines?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Apr 15 00:59:21 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:35:29PM -0700, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> I don't like windows in general, but If I have to have it, would
> prefer xp.  Linux is nice, but the easiest instructions seem to be for
> Windows machines and very few of the educators I will be working with
> will have Linux.

My guess is that the instructions are easiest because they are tried the
most, and the developers get the most feedback from them.

> The Mac will run SoaS, with a boot helper disk, will burn cds and dvds,
> but it is much easier to create the SoaS sticks on a Windows machine.

Have you tried running Windows inside a VirtualBox on the Mac?  That
might get you the ability to create the sticks.

> So here is the question...  Which netbooks and laptops will work with
> SoaS on a Plug-'n-Play basis like the MSI did?

Many do.  Some may need configuration changes before they will boot from
USB, though, and these changes might not be easy without full access to
the laptop.

> Do you know of any other electronics store chains that might let me
> come in and test SoaS on their floor models?

It takes either a brave, trusting or expert salesperson to let this
happen.  Brave in that they are betting on a sale to you despite the
risk of their demo unit needing a restore.  Trusting in that they have
to extend their trust to you holding a USB key of unknown origin.
Expert is best though; if you can first select the most technical
salesperson by asking lots of questions until you are handed off to the
best of the lot ... then you reduce the risk of refusal.

> P.S. There goes my tax refund!

There's always next year.

I don't know about retail contract of sale law in your country, but in
mine if I tell a retailer "it must be able to run this software here in
my hand", there are three typical outcomes:

1.  they refuse to accept the condition because they cannot assess the
risk, and say so "we don't know if it will work, that's your risk.",

2.  they offer to proceed with that condition, and welcome the unit back
for a refund or replacement, or

3.  they test it for me there and then to reduce their risk of return,
effectively removing the condition from the contract by gaining my
agreement.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/