[SoaS] SoaS Good News/Bad News (Congratulations and Comments)

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Wed Apr 7 23:36:22 EDT 2010

Caryl:

Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> Hi All...
>
> Here, at last, is an SoaS progress report along with some more questions.  As you may recall, I am hoping to have a good working version of SoaS to distribute to interested educators at the LAUSD Tech Fair at the LA Convention Center on April 24.   <http://sites.google.com/site/lausdinfotech2010/>.
>
> This afternoon I took my things over to a friend's house where they have 2 PCs running Windows XP.  We were successful in making a SoaS v2 usb stick using the file on the "Starter Kit" Tom Gilliard made and the Fedora LiveUSB Creator (which my friend reluctantly downloaded).
>

> The resulting USB would not boot alone, but with the help of the Book Helper CD (made from the file on Tom's starter kit) it worked fine. His machine was a Compaq impressario or something like that.
>
> When I got home, I tried the stick on my MacBook, using the Boot Helper CD, and it worked!

GREAT you have a working setup...: )

You can make duplicate USB's  see Note attached below:
> This is great!  But there are still some problems and questions.
>
> 1) I burned both the Strawberry and Blueberry files on CDs, thinking they would be live CDs... wrong!  Neither would boot on my friend's PC. He said it is because they are "iso" files.  Did I miss something?  How do I turn these files into a bootable file that I can burn to a CD to make a live CD?

(You did not burn them on the Compaq you added them to a CD data disk.)
Usually there is a choice you can make on selecting Burn to disk.
Your MAC should be able to burn these (not as a data disk but as a CD)
There is a choice...
I did it on my wife's Mac Powerbook G4....
The burned disks should boot on some versions of  intel MAC (not all
will boot I hear)
> 2) Is there any way to return to the Home View from the Journal when running SoaS on a Mac? The frame that shows the Home View button is not visible and there doesn't seem to be a way to access it.  If is "iffy," but visible, on the PC (comes and goes).  Could there be a keyboard shortcut for this?

f1 == Neighborhood/ f2 ==friends /f3==home view.  Try the function keys.
You can also put mouse cursor in right top corner until the frame
appears.  The top right panel of frame has graphical equivalents to the
keys which you can click.

To make the frame appear from all sides:
If you hover the mouse cursor over the XO Avitar a drop menu will appear
with "settings" it will open the Control Panel where there is a frame
setting application
Move the bottom cursor 1/2 way left and exit and restart sugar
> 3) There is a problem with the "image-writer-mac" file.  I have tried to open the one on Tom's starter kit and have also downloaded it several times and tried. It will not open. I always get this error message:
>
> "The document "image-writer-mac" could not be opened. PythonLauncher cannot open files of this type."

image-writer-mac is appears to be a linux program:
(It just possibly may work in the Mac terminal application but I have
not tried it)

It is used to write a non-persistent USB from .iso in linux
==========from the wiki======================
*To install Sugar onto a Stick*

    * Download the image-writer for Mac computers
      <http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/image-writer-mac>
      Verify the file was downloaded properly /by calculating its SHA-1
      checksum <http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/SHA1SUM>/
      For protection against tampering and transmission errors, *always
      compare the checksum of each download*.

    * Eject all USB drives. Insert the flash drive you wish to install
      Sugar on a Stick.
      *WARNING:* your entire flash drive will be overwritten in the next
      step! All partitions will be erased.

    * Open the Terminal Utility and type into the Terminal Window. Press
      the return key to run the command.
      |cd ~/Downloads; python image-writer-mac.py soas-2-blueberry.iso|

> A  a small PythonLauncher Preferences window also opens with several options to choose including, "Reset to factory settings".  I haven't a clue what to do with it, but perhaps I could change something so it will open the image-writer-mac file?
>
> This is enough for now.  I'm sure more will come up, but getting these answered will be a good start.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Caryl

I am not a mac person, except for G4 machines. Sorry
You need a local computer tech to help you.....

Good luck

Tom Gilliard
satellit

Reference:

GREAT DUPLICATOR of Your USB

===How to make a .img file of working Customized USB===

IN root Terminal:

 dd if=/dev/sd(*) of=xxxx.img

(xxxx is your custom name for it)

(Note be sure device identifier is /dev/sd(*)

THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS FOR YOUR HARD DISK IF YOU TYPE WRONG ADDRESS_BE CERTAIN!

Get help if uncertain before trying this.

*  type :mount in terminal and get label of device you want to use
ie /dev/sda;/dev/sdb/;/dev/sdc....etc

===Write Multiple Copies of this disk:===
In root Terminal

dd if=xxxx.img of=/dev/sd(*)

you need to clear the /.sugar entity if using multiple copies on
the same network or you will get collisions:

(in sugar terminal of running USB Stick BEFORE copying to .img file)
rm -rf ~/.sugar
su -
<password>
shutdown -h now